Thursday, November 20, 2008

Camping Awesomeness

Last weekend Greg and I took the dogs camping in the Angelina National Forest here in East Texas. The last time we went camping outside of Houston, it turned out to be a miserable experience (rain, bugs, RVs, muddy dogs...etc.). Thankfully, this time was had an awesome weekend!













The weather was a little cold, but I prefer cold weather because there were no bugs! We got a beautiful camp site right off the lake and there was hardly anyone else there!
Once it got dark we put the dogs to bed in the tent. Greg and I roasted marshmallows, had some hot chocolate, and then...as I was gazing up at the beautiful stars...

Amelia: Oh my gosh, oh my gosh, oh my gosh, ohmygosh, ohmygosh, ohmygosh...(screaming)

Greg: WHAT?! Amelia what's wrong?!?!

Amelia: I'll show you what's wrong (grabs lantern)



GIANT SPIDER THE SIZE OF MY FIST DANGLING OVER MY HEAD!





Greg: (Not very impressed) Next time you have to tell me what's going on...I thought you saw an axe murder or a bear in the woods!

As if this nasty spider was no big deal! Thankfully, Greg squashed this disgusting hairy beast a few moments later. Still, all night I had the creepy crawlies!

It got REALLY cold that night and even the poor puppies were shivering...














Sydney ended up sleeping IN Greg's sleeping bag and poor Sadie had to keep warm under some extra blankets.















Still, the overall experience was so much fun and I think Greg and I will go camping again...just not while we're living in Chicago!

6 comments:

Katie B. said...

I'm in Saint Paul, Minnesota, not St. Louis, so yes - it is very cold up here - the high was 27 degrees today... Chicago is such a fun city- you'll totally love it!

Lisa Marie said...

Fun! I like camping with dogs. They always have so much fun exploring. (At least mine does.) I do have to say though that your dogs are total wussy indoor dogs. lol. We make our dog sleep outside in the snow. And he doesn't mind too much. However when it doesn't get above freezing all day long we bring him inside. Cuz that's just cruel. He sure does love that kennel in the winter time. :)

Brett and Rachel said...

So Beautiful! I love the lake pics. Looks like you had tonz of fun despite the freezing temps. Now I think we need to go camping too. It should be a little warmer for us. :)
P.S. I HATE spiders too!

Unknown said...

Glad your camping trip went well! Sounds fun-- minus the BIG spider! Someday I will go camping without kids and actually be able to enjoy it!

Lisa Marie said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Katie B. said...

It is cold in chicago, very cold sometimes... I don't think it get's as bad as here - but I do know that it is super windy - and that's enough to make your bones freeze!

Don't worry though! You just have to bundle up! Which means buying cute winter clothes - something we never had to do in AZ ;)

When do you guys move up here? Will you be in chicago in May/June stiil?

Music Box