Wednesday, January 21, 2009

The final 500...

Last week I started the final 500 hours of my internship required for my FNP. I am working at the Joliet Doctors Clinic a multi specialty private practice near Plainfield. My designated preceptor is a young female family physician but I'm also spending quite a bit of time with an endocrinologist who is also the owner of the practice. I've become very comfortable with treating primary care patients and my time spent on the family practice wing is pretty much a review of everything I encountered last semester. Diabetes, hypertension, thyroid disorder, osteoperosis, upper respiratory tract infections, tendonitis, the occasional fracture, lots of well woman exams...primary care stuff. But, on the endocrine wing, I'm seeing some very interesting and rare cases.

At first, I was really nervous about being completely "on my own" there is so much responsibility assumed with this position. There is so much room for error in ever assessment, diagnosis, and treatment plan. I am constantly checking and double checking my every move. Did I forget any labs, did I check for ALL possible drug interactions, is my prescription complete, is my documentation complete...this list goes on and on. It has been a little nerve racking. Still, the feeling of finally being competent enough to know what steps need to be taken, what questions to ask, and what needs to be ruled out, is a good feeling.

It's all starting to come together and I know I'll be ready to practice in May. I'll always be a student because a good physician preceptor explained to me, "you can never know everything...it's impossible!" Medicine is constantly advancing and guidelines are always changing. I have to update my Palm on a weekly basis to make sure I stay current with all the medications on my Epocrates program! I don't mind, in fact this is what I enjoy most...there is always something new to be learned.


This is my little wing, if you were one of my patients they would put you in one of these rooms :)

My little corner of the world, this is where I do all my charting.

5 comments:

Megan Swiatkowski said...

Wow! You're a grownup. It sounds like you're really enjoying what you're doing which is great. I'm sure you are fabulous with your patients. Way to go girl. :) Oh yeah, you need to post your engagement pics. on here. They are beautiful.

Unknown said...

WOW! Go you! I bet you are great at what you do!

Maybe I should have asked you about my massive infection I had a few weeks ago??

SloneFamily said...

I had no idea you were going to be an NP! You're awesome... I am so jealous. Good for you and I am sure you will do great!

Katie B. said...

how exciting! good luck with everything! are you guys all settled in yet? how do you like the city so far?

Brett and Rachel said...

Congrats on being so close to the end! And hooray for graduating to a NP and not having to do all the dirty work of an RN anymore! :)

Music Box