Sunday, April 19, 2009

My "to do" list just keeps getting longer

Even as I cross off all the many tasks needed to prepare for the wedding and my graduation (just 4 short weeks away), I can't help but notice my "to do" list is still a mile long. I've decided this is a part of home ownership that is largely unavoidable. I'm pretty sure my weekends for the next 20 years (maybe a little exaggerated) will all involve some type of home improvement project.

I can't tell you how much Greg and I love the new house. It is so wonderful to be "home" that I really hate to leave for work, grocery shopping, or any reason at all! Our house is older, built in 1971, so there are a lot of small projects that we would like to do to update the house. In fact, there are so many projects that Greg has instructed me to create a list so we can prioritize what needs to be done first. Together, we have tackled a few minor jobs but it seems the list may never end. Did I mention we have no furniture? I completed my internship for school last week and my new job is to decorate and furnish our house. I can't wait!!!


Accomplished:
  1. Dog run (essential for preserving our sanity)
  2. Doggy doors (2)

  3. New pavers for side door entrance

  4. Installation of baby gates (no, we are not pregnant, these are for the dogs to protect our WHITE carpet)

  5. Change hardware on kitchen cabinets (the brass handles had to go)

  6. Couches for living room (pictures below)

  7. Seed the grass (I did this yesterday, so hopefully our lawn will be nice and green!)

Still needs to be done:

  1. Kitchen table (a must, we currently eat standing up at around the kitchen island or on our laps in the living room)

  2. Guest Bed (for our many visitors that have already made reservations at casa de polheber)

  3. Re tile fireplace (the psychedelic 70's tile is slowly blinding me)

  4. New light fixtures for kitchen

  5. New blinds for the kitchen windows (we have no privacy)

  6. Refinish the deck

  7. Re caulk tile in master bath

  8. Reseal kitchen cabinets

  9. Replace yellow bath tub (yes, we have a yellow bath tub)

  10. New interior doors (all the 1970 style doors must go)

  11. Tile the mud room (this is what the people in the Midwest call the laundry/utility room)

  12. Kitchen counter tops (in time)

  13. Update kitchen appliances (in time)

  14. Someday...wood floors for the main level
  15. There is a lot more furniture that we still need to purchase: coffee table, end tables, dining room table, formal living room furniture, a bedroom set...etc. But I'm assuming this will come with time.

Optional:

  1. Paint (our walls are all a very neutral beige, painting them seems like too much effort right now...this can wait)

These are the new couches. The first pieces of furniture we own that do not fold, collapse, or easily disassemble. To me, these couches are a HUGE symbol. The represent the permanent status of our life here in Chicago. Finally, we are home and it is WONDERFUL!



2 comments:

Krissi said...

ok, really random, but this is krissi tutt from high school. I randomly found your blog and was happy to see that you are in good ol' chi-town too! My hubby and I have lived in LaGrange for almost 3 years now & love it. We have friends out in Naperville and are out there quite a bit. Such a great town. We'll be moving this summer to CT for the hub's Anesthesiology Residency and are really going to miss chicago. Good luck with your upcoming wedding! - krissi mill

Morgan said...

Love the furniture! I can't wait til we're buying all of that (not so much the price tag, but the idea that you're staying put).

Music Box