Monday, April 27, 2009

The paper that would never end

I'm not sure if you remember my posting several weeks ago entitled "Worst Day of My Life"??? Today I had to re-defend my master's report to the same committee of PhD nurses and I have never been so nervous.

Let me jump back 48 hours and tell you about an email that I received from the chair person of my committee. I submitted my paper for review 2 weeks ago. On Saturday night at 9pm (36 hours before my defense I received an email. I have to say it was the most horrifying email I have ever read. I am not going to quote the email because, honestly, it would be too painful to relive.

Basically, to summarize the disastrous email, I was informed that my paper did not meet the scholarly standard necessary for the graduation of a master's degree. Why don't you just rip out my heart and run it over with a truck? Needless to say I was furious.

I immediately called my chair person demanding to know SPECIFICALLY what was so terrible about my paper?!?!?! I came up with a list of revisions and spent the next 24 hours making changes to my paper and creating a new PowerPoint (#3) to present to my committee.

At 12pm this afternoon, I gave my presentation. I spoke for 45 minutes straight with a knot in my stomach, certain that I would vomit when this was all over. When I finished, they had a few questions that I answered to the best of my ability. My chair person informed me that she was going to hang up the phone and call me back in 5 minutes with their decision...pass....or fail.

I hang up the phone.....one minute...two minutes...three minutes...I force myself to stop watching the clock. After waiting for what seemed like an hour, my phone rang.

Chair Person: Amelia, we have decided to PASS you with MAJOR REVISIONS.

Okay...but what does that really mean??? Basically, the committee liked my PowerPoint. They thought it was better than my paper. I have been asked to update my paper so that it reflects everything in the PowerPoint.

Honestly, the PowerPoint and paper are pretty darn similar!!! For goodness sake, I created the PowerPoint based on my paper!!! I am convinced that my committee never fully read the revised version of my paper. During my presentation, they were forced to listen to my PowerPoint, and apparently it was good, good enough to pass! What ever the truth may be...I'm going to graduate...and I guess that's all that matters.

4 comments:

Brett and Rachel said...

OMG! These people seem like a real pain in the butt!! How many times do they want you to re-write everything? Well, I'm glad you get to graduate despite all the craziness. And soon you will never have to deal with these people again. HORRAY!!!

Lisa Marie said...

Well, congrats on passing! At least that's something. Those ladies sound horrid! You make me really glad I didn't do my masters. lol!

Unknown said...

Oh my! What a huge pain! I am so glad you stuck with and kept going.

Congrats on passing!

Bonnie said...

Amelia, my jaw drops when I read these posts from you. I just can't believe it. You have been and always will be incredibly smart. There is absolutely no way that your paper could have been anything but amazing. I mean that. So i know you might not be able to make this since your bridal shower is the next day and everything, but my dad is having a welcome home party for Josh and me on May 16th, at his house; I think around 1 ish. I would love for you to be there. Let me know either way! See you soon, miss you! Soooo excited for your wedding by the way!

Music Box