Wednesday, May 4, 2011

What sleep?

My most favorite piece of advice..."sleep when she is sleeping."

Ha! This is very practical and logical advice, don't get me wrong. But it just does not apply to our daughter. I'm not really sure how she functions with so little sleep because I am barely able to remember how to complete activities of daily living.

Gwyn eats every 1.5 hours...this is not a joke. We are nursing and sometimes it can take 30-45 minutes to eat, so this activity occupies most of our time. However, our efforts are paying off. Gywn is growing out of her clothes! I could barely believe my eyes this morning when I pulled out a newborn sized outfit and could not manage to get her long little legs to fit in the footies! We have an official weight check with the pediatrician tomorrow and I can't wait to see how much growing she has done.

I know you have done the math, and there should still be 45 minutes to an hour for napping right?? We are dealing with this pesky little thing called colic. I'm not sure if Gwyn is working out her digestive plumbing or if this is just typical newborn fussiness but the poor little babe just can't seem to get comfortable. She fusses between nearly every feeding and sometimes even when she is eating. Our pediatrician gave us the heads up that this will probably get worse and peak around 6 weeks. We have no choice but to wait it out and give her all the comfort we can until things start to get better.

It's hard to believe our little girl will be 4 weeks old on Friday. The last month has been total chaos but I'm savoring this time because I know it will continue to pass quickly. My favorite moments during the first month have to be watching all of Gwyn's funny facial expressions, Greg experiencing projectile poop during a diaper change, and lastly all of Gwyn's noises.

My goodness, the noises that come out of this baby are hysterical! When she is really hungry she starts doing this little laugh. Then the laugh gets faster and more intense, a little like a crazy person! That's when you know the clock is ticking and you better get moving because you don't have a lot of time. On the rare occasion that she doesn't get her milk fast enough, the laugh turns into a full on scream but I'm getting better at avoiding this type of melt down. We are learning how to interpret more of her "language" every day and love watching her grow.

3 comments:

Madeline @ Food, Fitness, Family said...

My nephew had really bad colic for about 4-6 weeks when he was first born. There wasn't too much we could do about it :( Good luck! She is so precious :)

Lisa Marie said...

One thing that helped my babies not be so fussy was nursing longer on one "side". I guess I make TONS of milk and the baby wouldn't completely drain the left side and I would switch to the right because I thought I was supposed to. I had to only let the baby nurse on 1 side for 3 hours, and then I could switch. For example: Gwen is hungry at 6:30am. You feed her on the left side. She eats for 46 minutes. She is hungry again at 8:00am. Feed her again on the left side. When the clock says 9:30 you can feed her from the right side. And you can switch back to the left side at 12:30pm. This way the baby gets the foremilk AND the hindmilk. Once I started doing this my baby didn't get gas, stopped spitting up, and was just plain happy. Oh, and they stopped nursing so much. They stayed fuller longer. :)

But that may not be your issue. Your baby may just have colic. :(

Brett and Rachel said...

Haha. Yeah, I think that advice is kind of a joke too. I think I maybe got 1 or 2 naps the whole first month. Easier said than done, right?!

Weston started getting really fussy at about 3-4 wks and my pediatrician reccomended Mylicon (gas) drops. They worked like a charm! I would give them to him as soon as we was done eating and he seemed so much more comfortable. If I forgot he would get fussy again. Doesn't hurt to try.

Good luck and hope you start getting more sleep soon. The first few months are so rough, but then it becomes SO much fun!!

Music Box