Sunday, April 3, 2011

Bigger is not always better

The emotional state of a pregnant woman is not easily defined. After spending 24 hours in the new giant room I desperately missed my old room. I had spent a total of 3.5 weeks (nearly a month) of my life in that room and it was my home.

Greg urged me to give the new room a fair shot but a spotty internet connection, poor water pressure, and the big bare walls had me wishing we had never moved. To add to my devastation, I learned a new patient had been admitted to MY old room and I had no idea how long this woman would be there.

Around 6pm last night Greg noticed a wheelchair outside our old room and after a little spying, he confirmed that a volunteer had taken the occupant away in the wheelchair. I had no idea if the woman had been discharged already, that would be strange because this is the long term high risk unit. But I wasn't going to wait around to find out. I jumped out of bed leaving my dinner untouched and went straight to the nurses' station. There was no time to put on my call light and wait around for someone to answer. In a loud whisper, I asked the nurses if my old room was vacant again. They all looked at me like I had lost my mind. They did not want to confirm anything right away but assured me they would put in a request to transfer me back if the room was available. Frustrated that I did not have a definite answer, I had no choice but to return to my dinner.

I spent the next 2 hours driving Greg crazy with my speculation about whether or not they would give us the old room back. After shift change, I was thrilled to see one of my favorite night nurses walk through the door with good news We had to wait a while for the room tobe cleaned but we could move back! I immediately started packing up our things and loading them on to a transport cart. I don't know how many times Greg told me to sit down and let him do the work but some weird anxiety had taken over me. If I didn't pack up quickly I was sure the room would be given to someone else!

My awesome night nurse had already done so much for us but I still had one last request. I wanted to take the bed from the giant room with me. Like I mentioned before, it inflates and adjust to my hips and back, it is awesome. Surely this was pushing the envelope but it was necessary for my comfort...we still have 10 days to go! The nurse happily moved the bed and didn't make me feel like I was being a pain at all. We also took the Lazboy recliner back with us, a new refrigerator (our old one disappeared), and a new fancy bedside table (why not, we were on a roll). It was really quite the production...I realize this must have looked crazy but I'm pregnant and in a temporary prison, I might as well be comfortable.

Today, we are happily back in our home and will not be moving until this babe is born and we are allowed to graduate to the mother/baby unit :)
Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.7

3 comments:

Unknown said...

you crack me up!

glad you got the old room back!

10 more days, really?

Lisa Marie said...

Wow. That is hilarious. You should have Greg go buy some flowers for your night nurse from you. After I give birth and the hormones go back to "normal" (if there is such a thing) I feel like I should thank my husband profusely for putting up with me and my craziness. This nurse deserves some love too.

Candi and Skeet said...

Good for you!! I say do, and demand, whatever it takes to get you through! I would have done the same thing!!

Music Box