Tuesday, April 5, 2011

t-r-o-u-b-l-e

For the most part, things have been going very smoothly. I might even describe the last week as uneventful, boring, or dull...just the way I like it. I have accepted that I will have these miserable contractions for the duration of my pregnancy...this is my norm. Still, the nurses have to ask the same redundant questions about symptoms, every 6 hours when they check my vitals, to which I typically respond "no change".

Last night, we had a little excitement. I noticed some back pain late in the afternoon but decided to wait it out and didn't mention anything to my nurse. After an hour I nonchalantly mention the new ache and asked for some Tylenol. She gave me the Tylenol but I also earned myself an early date with the monitor. I knew I was having a lot of contractions but was crossing my fingers they weren't as close together as they seemed to be.

Not so lucky, they were coming every 5 min and the backache was getting worse. I could see the concern growing on my nurse's face although she tried to play it cool. She casually mentioned she would feel better with an IV back in my arm (I forgot to mention I managed to talk my way out of my IV about a week ago). So the IV went back in. Another hour passed, it was coming up on shift change. There was a knock at my door and an unfamiliar face dressed in scrubs came in.

Hmmm...who was this guy? He introduced himself as Dr. (something long and difficult to say), he was an anesthesiologist, he was the anesthesiologist on call for the evening. Now, I have been here for a while and have not been introduced to a single doctor in this specialty. He must have the wrong room. Nope, he came to talk to me. It turns out he had heard about our recent "activity" and wanted to get my history in case things should "progress". Geeez...news travels fast around here. We went through the questions and I thanked him for stopping by, but I had no intention of seeing his face again until next week.

The excitement lasted about 4 hours, when things started to slow down the nurse asked if anything felt "different" before or during this episode. That was a good question and yes, yes there was something. I've mentioned that our baby is extremely active, but this afternoon it felt like she was using my uterus as a bouncy castle. When they put to toco monitor on me (belly strap with pressure sensor to monitor size of contractions) she attacked the toco like a nija warrior warding off the enemy with kicks that nearly had me jumping out of bed. I noticed she seemed to be napping now and my contractions had finally slowed down.

The nurse laughed and told me it was very possible that all her activity aggravated my overly sensitive uterus. What a little trouble maker!

Dear Baby,

We are so happy that you are enjoying your stay in Mom's belly and growing big and strong. Please feel free to continue your daily Jazzercise routine, but maybe take it easy on the Tae Bo? Also, the toco monitor is our friend. We would really like you to stay put for one more week.

Love, Your Parents
Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.7

No comments:

Music Box