Monday, February 28, 2011

L&D Day 4

We are having a better day today. Last night I had a nasty attack of contractions around 10 pm but after taking my medication things settled down and I slept for nearly 7 hours! I got my last dose of this temporary medication at noon today (it can only be taken for 48 hours) so I am crossing my fingers and toes that things continue to stay quite as I go back on the old "nasty" medication. The "nasty" pills have awful side effects. The give me headaches, dizziness, hot flashes and cause my hands and feet to get red, swollen and tender....bleh. Supposedly these side effects get better the longer you take it and I am more than willing to tolerate this discomfort to keep from going into labor!

I sent Greg home to sleep last night. He looked exhausted. Greg had to go back to work today after spending the last 3 days/nights camped out on the sofa bed next to me. He has been amazing, watching endless episodes of How I Met Your Mother (thank you Liese), rubbing my puffy marshmallow feet, and bringing me delicious food when I just can't stomach anything on the hospital menu. He has also had the huge task of taking care of our farm (the house and dogs) which is really not so easy to do while also spending time with your bed bound wife. He is a fabulous husband and I feel extremely lucky.

I had ordered some continuing education a few weeks ago in preparation for our original hospital admission to pass the time and keep busy. I have to complete 50 hours every year to keep up my Nurse Practitioner license/ certification. So I got this HUGE book with test questions worth 61 hours of credit and figured it would keep me occupied for a while. Not so much. When I got here I started working on the pretest questions and this morning I completed and passed the post test in about 30 minutes...now what. I really thought it was going to be more time consuming. Need more activities!

Today and tomorrow are going to be important days in determining if I have to continue to stay in the hospital. My contractions have to behave for a full 24 hours since stopping the temporary medication (the clock started at noon today). If things still look calm tomorrow they will let me go home on the nasty pills and I'll just continue the bed rest there until our original admission date of March 17. If the contractions get crazy again then I will have to stay in the hospital and find some new activities to try and keep my sanity (I plan to take up knitting). Either way, the majority of March is going to be spent here so I might as well get use to the idea. I'm really not missing much, it is still "winter" in Chicago and by the time we go home in April it will be Spring and beautiful again :)
Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.7

3 comments:

Megan Swiatkowski said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Megan Swiatkowski said...

You have such a great attitude. Your little lady is very lucky. Sounds like Greg is being a huge support, you can't ask for more than that!

Unknown said...

Sounds like Mag? Were Is that what you were on? That stuff is the devil!

Music Box