Saturday, February 26, 2011

Weekend getaway...to L&D

Greetings from the hospital! We've unexpectedly been admitted a little earlier than we had planned. For weeks my contractions have been getting more frequent and stronger. I have mentioned this to ALL my doctors several times. On Thurday I had my weekly apt with the perinatologist and sure enough my cervix had shortened. This combined with the contractions puts me at risk for preterm labor which is just not an option when you have a Vasa Previa.

So we were checked straight into L&D and I was given steroids to help baby's lungs mature. I also started meds for the contractions that gave me terrible/crazy side effects and did not help at all! I'm on a new med today so hopefully it will do the trick. They good news is we had a test done called a fetal fibronectin. If the test is negative, the likelihood of going into labor is very low. I am so pleased to announce our test was negative!!

Hopefully we can get these contractions under control and they will let me go home for a couple weeks. We weren't supposed to check into the hospital for 2 more weeks anyway and we still have so much to do to get ready! I don't even have preemie clothes for this child yet! I will have to stay on bedrest for the remainder of the pregnancy (33 days until c section) so poor Greg is going to busy with all the last minute preparations.

I do feel better being here in the hospital where they can keep a close eye on us. I am optomistic that our doctors can get us over this hurdle and keep us on track for the 34 week delivery. Goodness knows I am determined to keep our baby cooking until March 31st!
Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.7

4 comments:

Lani said...

Hope you get to go back home soon!

Morgan said...

I hope everything goes ok!

The Cali Family said...

That's so scary! It sounds like you have very competent doctors though! I really wish that everything goes perfect for you and your precious girl. Hang in there -- she will be worth it! :)

Unknown said...

Oh my goodness! I just read your blog! I didn't know you were in the hospital. Everything you are saying just sounds so familar-- I went through the same things when preggo with the twins... I was there for 6 days!

Hang in there!

Music Box