Wednesday, February 2, 2011

So this is snow.

We've been living in Chicago for 2 full years now. This is our 3rd winter and I have never seen snow like this before. On the news last night they told us to prepare for "Thunder Snow." I would have happily prepared for Thunder Snow if I knew what the heck that was!!! Greg and I were both sent home from work early to prepare. Thankfully I had just been to the grocery store over the weekend and we had plenty of food in the house.The blizzard started yesterday evening around 5pm. The snow did not fall like it normally does...instead it was more like a tornado of snow that just kept blowing on top of us. I didn't actually think we were getting much accumulation on the ground until I looked out the window this morning....19 inches! How does that even happen? Mother Nature is so powerful and we certainly felt very helpless this morning when we were unable to open our front, side, or back doors.
Thank goodness for Greg, he has been working on clearing the driveway for the last three hours. Even with our snow blower it is still a terrible job because the snow has piled so high that some of it has to be shoveled. I just went outside and my awesome hubby has moved on to helping our neighbor across the street who lives alone. Have a mentioned what a great guy Greg is lately??? He is the best.
Chicago is a hard core city, this is the first snow day that has been granted by Chicago public schools in the past 15 years. I think those poor kids deserve it! We were also given a snow day from work today. Unlike the kids in school that will have to make up this snow day at the end of the year, our snow day from work is a complete freebie...woohoo! It also happened to be my last day before maternity leave and I'm happy to spend it by the fire with a cup of hot chocolate!

2 comments:

Lisa Marie said...

What a sweetheart to help the neighbor even after he spent 3 hours on his own yard! Good thing you went shopping recently. And congrats on being done with work for a while. Now begins the countdown to baby...

Unknown said...

Oh my gosh! That is just a crazy amount of snow! So much different from the weird AZ weather!

Looks beautiful though!

Music Box