Friday, March 4, 2011

Dr. P

To be completely honest I am not a huge fan of "group practice" where you see a revolving door of physicians, especially as a pregnant patient. In my own practice I follow up with my own patients exclusively. I feel like it promotes continuity of care and allows patients to have a better relationship with their healthcare provider. That being said, it seems to be the very popular norm for women to see obstetrical groups during pregnancy. The number OBGYNs practicing solo out there seems to be dwindling. I guess I can understand, I'm sure it would be exhausting for one individual to try and meet the needs of all his/her pregnant patients. I guess it wouldn't be too far fetched to say that pregnant women are a pretty demanding population!

At 19 weeks, when we were diagnosed with the Vasa Previa, I switched to a group of OBs that came highly recommended to me for high risk delivery. Now I see a total of 8 different physicians, 5 OBs and 3 Perinatologists. That is a lot of opinions! Plus, don't forget, yours truly has a very strong opinion of her own, although I do my best to keep it under control to avoid earning the "difficult patient" gold star. Out of all my lovely doctors there is one opinion that I value above all others, Dr. P.

As far as Greg and I are concerned, he is the one driving this baby train. Maybe it is because he is the one who caught and diagnosed our Vasa Previa. Dr. P is very young (probably the youngest physician we have) and certainly not the senior member of our perinatology group but he is incredibly knowledgeable, a good listener, very cautious, and we trust his judgement completely. So when we saw him yesterday and he told me things look stable, I wanted to do jumping jacks (but I didn't want to give Dr. P a heart attack). My cervical length looked good and while I still had contractions on the NST, there was not a regular pattern. That means I get to continue my bedrest at home a little longer!

Yesterday was also the 30 week mark. It is amazing what kind of effect that number has on me mentally. I am so overjoyed and relieved to be done with the 20's!!! Next milestone is 32 weeks, that will be a big one.

Thanks everyone for sharing your favorite nursing products, let the online shopping begin!
Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.7

3 comments:

Unknown said...

That's great news! YAY! I had my twins at 34!

Lani said...

WHOA that is a lot of docs! I go to a solo practice and really enjoy the concept, but it sounds like you are now getting everything you need in 1 place! Glad you have a doc you're confident in.

Samantha said...

Hi Amelia,

I can totally understand your anxiety about being home opposed to the hospital. It sounds like you have a great doc though and the fact that he is a good listener and is patient with you really helps! ALso, thank god that he was able to diagnose your condition. My doc still does not know why I ruptured prematurely, but I do have a low lying placenta and they believe that my rupture sealed over. I wonder if I should be screened for a vasa previa though--that didn't even occur to me. I hope that you can manage at home with no emergencies for a little while longer--I will be sending you good thoughts and wishes for you and your little one!

Music Box